Tuesday, March 24, 2009

On My Way to Find Bak Kut Teh

I'm sorry, I snuck a picture of this girl because she is JUST TOO THIN. Click on the picture to get a better look. TOO THIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The rest of the pictures are taken from the bus (except the restaurant and ice cream) on my way to find Famous Bak Kut Teh.


This is the automated system that allows you to just scan a card that you add value to in order to pay for your bus and MRT (train) trips.

Some random church


These are houses that are quite expensive. Even though they are connected to each other, they easily surpass the S$1 million (US$750,000), depending on their square footage.

They put advertisements on their buses as well. There are both single and double decker buses, and since I haven't seen lychee flavoured non-alcoholic (0.5% alcohol) soda before, I thought I would take a picture. Two birds, one stone. Score!
They drive on the left hand side and the driver's seat is on the right. I'm worried about when I resume driving in the US, so I always tell myself that Singapore is weird. When I went to London though (which has the same system), I told myself that Americans were better. ^.^

Look familiar? Shell Gas station. Sold in liters (litres) and much more expensive than in the US.


Esso is quite well adapted to Singapore as well, and though there are plenty of 7 Elevens here, Cheers is their biggest competitor (in my opinion).

Quirky little fruit stansd and ghetto-looking restaurants are everywhere.

House of Seafood 180. I suppose this probably sounds better in Chinese, but when I look at it, I just want to go to the next seafood restaurant to eat. (There are plenty of seafood restaurants in Singapore, and it's quite famous for its chili crab. I thought that the chili crab would be more...peppery chili crab, but it's actually more like American-chili-without-the-beans on top of crab.)

HDB (Housing Development Board) has created enormous buildings they call HDB flats. You can tell which ones are older by the amenities (elevators, gardens, etc.). The first level is just a common area, sometimes with tables or sometimes even a mini mart.







And then...we arrived at this Founder Bak Kut Teh Restaurant, which is where plenty of local celebrities eat. You can sort of see the wall inside the restaurant, which is plastered with large pictures of supposed Singaorean celebrities (I only know like....4 Singaporean celebrities but still may not recognize them if they slapped me in the face.)
After Joey treated me to this famous bak kut teh (which really was quite nice, but I failed to get a picture because well....it's not much to look at anyways. Soup, rice and pieces of pork with bones in them...and they expect you to rip the meat out with your teeth. So not my style.), he treated me to Ice Cream Chefs on East Coast Road.

Even though I could walk to this restaurant, I still got lost. Sorry Joey. :)

Koko Crunch and Hershey's chocolate chips into a mixture of Hershey's chocolate and Peanut Butter ice cream (all freshly made, of course). It was lovely!

No comments:

ShareThis