Thursday, February 5, 2009

Seafood Birthday Party

After work yesterday, I went all the way to Casuarina Rd for some Ban Leong Wah Hoe Seafood for a friend's birthday party. It was SO delicious. It worked out to about $30-35 per person, but the guys were very kind and paid for the girls. 

So here is my tale of a fabulous seafood dinner.

I arrive on time: 7:15 PM. We're all here by 8:10. Yes, I waited for a very long time, and I had time to buy a small tiramisu cake (which was delicious!!) from Chocz. I could seriously eat one cake by myself. DELICIOUS. 

Apparently "pineapple" in Chinese sounds like "bring in luck"
...so this explains the hanging of pineapples everywhere


Before the showdown....while I was waiting.


Having fun with macro focus :p

Being totall American and drinking Coke

Lou Hei before we got to it.


Oh dear, the Lou Hei after we attacked (I mean.....mixed) it.


Oh look. Vegetables. Put sesame oil on just about anything, and I will eat it.


My short little arms meant that everyone helped me reach for food. It's a mixture of dried and thinly sliced fish and vegetables - plus some crunch fried bits of dough and heaven seeds (oh I'm sorry. I mean sesame seeds).

WHAT? WHAT IS THAT? Yes, yes.......yes it's venison. Deer meat. Lovely. Yum. 
Baby corn makes every meat dish better. 


This restaurant offers "drunken prawn" (what a lie), but we opted for the fried prawn instead (prawn = shrimp). Unfortunately, I don't eat things with eyes still in them. Except crab because crab trumps eyes.


Fried chicken wings. Delicious, but a bit too oily for me. 


Most delicious fish ever!! The sauce was surprisingly similar to nuoc mam.


Chili crab (Singaporean specialty) was SO DELICIOUS. OMG.
It might have taken me about 20 minutes to get through the shell, but I have major weakness for crab.


Fried pau (bao) that you're suppose to eat with the chili crab sauce. 


They tried to get me to try fried calamari. I told them I don't eat fried spiders. :)
I fed it to Hanying instead. Heehee


Yam cake.......they also tried to get me to eat this. They failed. Again.


Tiny Tiramisu Cake that was delicious and full of yummy coffee liquor!
Happy Birthday Hanying!


Group photo!


Ingredients of the Lou Hei


A cute pair of oxen. How auspicious. 

Afterwards, we went to "Happy Daze" in Serangoon Gardens for some quality friend time and then went home. I couldn't fall asleep right away, so I bothered a bunch of my cousins in LA. :)

Much love,
M


No comments:

ShareThis