Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Weekend

Don't worry, Mom. I don't have a boyfriend --> my Valentine's day was spent entirely indoors while you told me that you were eating cua (crab). Thanks a lot.  Yeah, stinkerbottom. I don't like you very much.  The next time I come home, there better be one of these bad boys waiting for me on that dining room table of ours. (Just kidding....but like...within the week of my glorious return?)

Sunday was a lot of fun! I'm a little sore right now (perhaps too many euchre games, tinky, where you will find me hunched over the screen yelling explicatives at you for making [another] mistake) because I went cycling again at East Coast Park. 

East Coast Park (which is completely untrue because it is along the south-east coast of Singapore - the east is actually where the airport is, but they just call that region "Changi") is littered with fast food and normal restaurants, 7 Eleven (which, along with "Cheers" represents a majority of convenience stores here), random clothing kiosks, some bike/inline skating/skateboard rentals, and some [bizarre] bits of amusement park. 


East Coast Park is like a little 'downtown' of the East Coast.

Yes, Mom. This guy has the best job in the world. He runs a booth where you race remote controled cars.

There were some random gardens in the middle of the bike trail. I thought everything in bloom was so nice - I'm surprised that I haven't see a wedding on either Sunday that I've been here at this site. 


 Some random tower where people can skate.

Cutest little boy chugging away (much to the exasperation of his older "Beckham" brother)!


Singapore has little "work out stations" littered all around the island. I've never seen people use them before until now!  

My favorite (and most laughable) place is the remote control speedway. Last Sunday consisted of a crowd and the [deafening...LOL!] roar of...oh....wait....for....it.....remote control cars. ROFL! (roll on the floor laughing, JMS.)

Unfortunately, the race was later in the day. :(
STILL! REMOTE CONTROL CAR SPEEDWAY. 
>.<

Also, Singapore is a bit strict about its campgrounds (yes, there are lots and lots of tents that are set up at East Coast Park), and apparently you have to apply for a permit in order to reserve a barbeque area. 

The water actually looks lovely from the pictures, but my best guess (because the water is shared with not-so-far ships/ocean liners) is that Singapore treated the hooloopah out of it. Just a guess. I wouldn't put it past Singapore to try to maintain its tourism factor.


We made our way over to the pier and rode out to smell the [awesome] scent of the sea (and get scorched by the sun [Note to Self: Trees do not grow on piers.].  There is this one website calledGigapan, and it allows people to look at gigapixel pictures.  

For instance, if you look at Obama's inauguration, you will see SEVERAL Supreme Court Justices asleep (Hi-larious).   Back to the subject - I wish there was gigapixel picture of the scene today. The sun was so nice; on the right you would have had the beach with all its palm trees and children running around, and on the left you would have all these enormous ships anchored there.  


Love,
Sans

PS We went for dinner and then the National Library. I read Michael Crichton's Airframe. I think The Lost World was a lot better, but I am more of a science person than an engineer. :)

No comments:

ShareThis