Thursday, November 6, 2008

Cafe Iguana at Clarke Quay


Last night was a birthday party, and we all headed to Cafe Iguana at Clarke Quay for some Mexican food. I had been there before with a friend from Texas, but instead of just one meal, I have about 5 dishes to show you today! Cafe Iguana's menu has 2 pages of food and 3 pages of drinks. The selection even lacked tamales. Right.

My meal was a sparse. I had the kid's quesadilla with chicken. It comes with lime-scented cilantro rice and beans. I also pass on beans. It's just not my thing. But the rice was decent - but there was nothing to accompany it (a quesadilla is hardly anything to accompany rice). The chicken was super dry, and the cheese was hardly inspired. It costs $11.99 (but probably more since I had to add the chicken). The mango juice was normal (definitely not fresh).


Two of my friends had the Soft Tacos - Smoked Salmon ($21.99). They actually looked SO GOOD! Rawr. "Handmade corn tortillas, traditional shredded cabbage garnish, lime cream and pico de gallo and side dishes of beans and lime-scented cilantro rice." YUM!


But I was told from two people that these soft tacos only score a 7 on a scale of 10. Boo! Wayne said it was a bit overkill - and I think this is a general statement I heard over and over - the portions are too large and you feel like you have to finish your food (Asian mentality). He also said that he wouldn't order it again.

Two people ordered the Grilled Chicken Chimichangas ($18.99) and gave it a 7-7.5/10. It looks ok...the guacamole looked nice but I suspect there was too much sour cream on top. "Deep fried flour tortilla filled with grilled vegetables and cheese served with lime-scented cilantro rice" sounds nicer than it looks.



Three people ordered from the Tequila Grill - 1/2 Chicken ($23.99). "Lime marinated meat finished with a smoky & spicy tequila glaze served with grille vegetables and poblano-scalloped potatoes. If you like chunky mashed potatoes, I'm sure you would enjoy these!


One person said that the chicken was way too dry and gave it 4/10. Ouch! Seng said his was 7/10 (just a bit dry, and it didn't seem like the marinade - if any - showed up). If I have to return to Cafe Iguana, I most likely to elect to have this grilled chicken though. If it's dry, I'll just send it back, man!

One person I just met last night ordered the Portobello Fajitas ($20.99) - "Sizzling platter served with flour tortillas, sauteed onions and peppers, sour cream and guacamole". [I went for the Flank Steak Fajitas last time, and they were about a 5/10.] He also gave them a 7/10 rating.



Picture of the Bar


Frida Kahlo [scares me]

These are responsible for the yellowish shots that I took my friends. GRRRR. Nevertheless, cute!

So overall, I say that Cafe Iguana is good for a 7/10 meal :p and moreover, probably not worth the $30 pp price. I've had better Mexican food at Margarita's on Dempsey (but much more expensive).

No comments:

ShareThis