Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Dieting (eh?)

Is there anything new in my life? Not especially. I have been trying to trick someone - anyone – to come with me to check out this ice cream store near my place called Ice Cream Chefs. It doesn’t help that I am trying to lose a bit of weight. Don’t worry, I’m not starving myself. I am resuming what was my normal diet before entering college.

Call me slow, but I figured out why I usually overeat. And I think that this may be a big problem with a large portion of the population. Once you enter the workforce, you realize how much it costs you to earn money. So when we actually go and buy ourselves food with the money for which we have bled, sweat and cried, of course we are going to eat the entire thing!

So this is my take: start buying kid’s meals. Yes, I went to KFC and ordered crispy (no such thing as extra crispy in Singapore…boohoo…) but in a kid’s portion. Even though I am still a bit hungry, I realize that this is probably the best feeling ever. It’s always good to stop eating when you’re about 50% full. I read this fitness program yesterday that told me to always wait 6 hours in between breakfast (which you should take within an hour of waking up), lunch and dinner. Then I also read the box of the Special K about the Special K diet. It requires that you eat Special K (or the Special K bar or waffles) [you can add fruit if you wish] for two meals and then a normal third meal. Unfortunately, as tempted as I was, Giant (the equivalent of Wal-Mart in Sg) only carries the Red Berry and Fruit/Yogurt varieties. I am definitely one to go for the Original or Pecan Cinnamon (…this must be new or else I would have drooled all over the box by now).

Even so, Special K is ridiculously overpriced here because it is an imported good. EIGHT DOLLARS (ok, which is like 6 USD) is RIDICULOUS. Especially when you can buy most cereals for half the price. I usually buy the Singapore equivalent of Frosted Flakes called “Frosties,” and I was FLABBERGASTED when I saw the box of “Frosted Flakes” going for SG$10. Frosties go for about SG$4.50. REDIKEROUS!!

So back to dieting. Yeah, I eat about half portions now (or if you want, childsize portions). I realize that this may not suffice most people, but it’s better to take one meal over two occasions instead of one. Meaning, less food but more frequently is better than overloading your body three times a day. Let’s try to make it 5-6?

This diet I suspect (I did eat a LOT of ice cream last night though) will help me lose some of this unnecessary weight that I have accumulated due to my love for coconut milk broth noodle soup (laksa). Yes. It’s sad but very true.

By the way, I started a genetics blog, but it’s kinda for bio-majors, but you’re welcome to take a gander if you want.

Toodles and happy dieting.

I love mangoes.

No comments:

ShareThis