Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Italian Food!

Last night I went out with a friend to La Forketta Gastronomia Italiana at 491 River Valley Rd (Valley Point). We ran into the restaurant just before 10 pm and graciously thanked the staff for letting us in even though they were just about to begin closing shop. Last orders at 10.

To be honest, this is probably the best place to bring a date; the ambiance is very romantic, etc. etc. but I just went with a friend. Tough.

Anyways, right when you are seated, they bring some bread (though we had to ask for the olive oil…apparently Singaporeans don’t like oil with their breads. Weirdos! j/k…^.^) [and charge you for it…ridiculous]. Interestingly enough, we got two slices of cheese pizza in this basket. That was a bit random. Delicious. I added pepper into the olive oil. I miss Bravo’s amazing olive oil blend of sundried tomatoes and various herbs. That is the best. (Bravo’s Italian Kitchen on W. 86th Street, Indianapolis).

I ordered the Vongole, San Pellegrino Mandarino (Mandarin Orange) (S$6.50), and “Broiled Bread Bruschetta with Tomatoes and Basil” (S$9)

The Bruschetta was AMAZING. I am seriously in love with this bruschetta. I mean, I can make my own blah blah but this was so unique because there were cherry tomatoes and great garlic flavor. The bread was different (I’m not used to receiving just one slice of bread). I think that the price is a bit steep for the small amount you receive though.


The Vongole (spaghetti, fresh clams, white wine, cheery tomatoes, parsley, etc.) ($20) was very nice, but a tad too oily! I think that I had about 2 dozen tiny fresh clams. I really enjoyed it, but I suspect that this dish would be even better as leftovers.


My friend had the Messicana (Mexican) pizza with tomato sauce, mozzarella, salame, grilled eggplants, capsicums, onion, and oregano ($23). It was huge and definitely meant to share because he didn’t have a chance at finishing it (especially with the appetizers). We boxed it up.


Dessert, of course was the Tiramisu (“layers of savoiardi bisuit dipped in espresso coffee brandy mixture, and mascarpone cheese”) ($9.50).

It didn’t really wow me like the one at The French Stall. This brandy mixture wasn’t strong enough, nor was the cheese leaving the typical tiramisu aftertaste in my mouth. In fact, I sort of felt like I just eat whipped cream instead of tiramisu. The cocoa dust on top just dried my mouth like crazy. Too bad for this tiramisu (sad face).

I feel really lucky that we made it on time. I definitely will come back, hopefully next time as a date & with a better dessert! The total ended up being over S$100.

No comments:

ShareThis