Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Memory Lane with Sakae Sushi

This is the moving carousel of gluttony. Plates of various (and premium) sushi and sashimi wave at you. Tantalizing your eyes and making your stomach FORCE your hands to move themselves......and grab....plates. OH GOODNESS. I have to actually tell myself not to look. :( And a computer screen to order food. The mouse might actually be in the shape of the mascot frog "Sakae". Leaping towards happiness I see.


The first food I had when I came to Singapore was Beef Udon in Wheelock Place on Orchard Road at Sakae Sushi. Now I realize that F.M. (can I use your name?) is not so innovative. At least feed me local food first, right? Well I did have some of his grandmother's homecooked Malay food, so I will not overly complain.

Well the Beef Udon has stuck, and I go 1-2 times a week into Sakae Sushi, though today was the first day that I actually took a picture of the food. But the menu has changed and the beef udon is now "Niku Udon". Because they added some funky mushrooms (which I like because they are so crunchy!).

I also love to order Esprit Sparkling Fruit Drink with 5% Fruit Juice (sorry, took it off the label). My favorite so far is Orange Tangerine, but today I had the Passionfruit, and there is also Raspberry, Lemon Lime and Blueberry (these come to mind first, at least). But they don't offer Orange Tangerine in the restaurant.

The udon is fine, but the beef is nothing special (and in the US, it would be considered very low grade meat). The fishcake is dependably fish cake tasting. I might like it better because it has pink swirls. But I would never admit it.

I have a lot of other memories of SS as well. My ex-friends have a sushi day every month and go there. I paid for FM and didn't yell (too much) when he ordered more than he can handle. I go with my coworkers sometimes. I took an lady investment banker from Malaysia there. Every time I go there with someone new, I discover new tastes. But today, I was all alone, so I had the usual. I don't know any of the names of the staff, but all in due time.

I usually get some Chaka Wakame and Sun Maki, but today my stomach must be saved for dinner....KOREAN FOOD! OH MY...SLURP SLURP YUM YUM!

No comments:

ShareThis